March 28, 2024, 02:29:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Revolution X, where Coding meets Graphics.

Home Help Search Arcade Affiliates Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Full Sig Tutorial

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Full Sig Tutorial  (Read 866 times)
deathwilldie
Administrator
Adminitrator

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Level 5
« on: October 20, 2008, 07:19:30 pm »

Tutorial Created by Shadow Wraith.  View original Topic here: http://www.smfsupport.com/support/graphics/full_signature_tutorial_asgt-t16242.0.html

This is a full signature tutorial, fairly basic and should be rather easy to follow. Want I really want you, the reader, to achieve from this tutorial, is not just a new sig, but new techniques, these are the heart of a sig, without any all sigs would be bland and boring. I will show you how to make the most of these simple techniques to make a very complex sig. This sig was almost completely made with Defaults. Now let's get started. Cheesy

Resources
Render
Logo
Sentinel GFX Brush Set
Brush Set for Photoshop Users

Tutorial
In this tutorial you will be making a sig like this:

Step One
Open up a new canvas, I will be using 400x100, get out the Paintbucket tool and fill with black.

Step Two
Next scale your render to fit inside the sig and paste it in on a new layer.

Step Three

Make a new transparent layer and move it just beneath the render layer. Get out the Paint brush tool, change your FG color to white, select a couple brushes from the Cloud set you have just downloaded and make a couple of clicks so that it fills almost the entire sig. Leave this layer as Normal at 100% opacity.

Step Four

Duplicate your render layer twice, move one just underneath the render layer and leave the other duplicate where it is. Select the one below the original render layer, go Filters>Blur>Gaussian Blur and change the settings to 20. Now go Filters>Distorts>Shift and change the settings to 10.

Step Five

Now go to the other duplicated layer and go Filters>Blur>Gaussian Blur and leave the X and Y settings at around 20. This bit is rather tricky so listen carefully. Go back to your original render layer and go Layer>Transparency>Alpha To Selection, then Select>Shrink by about 5 pixels, then Select>Feather and change it to around 10 pixels. Then select your render duplicated layer which is above the original render layer and go Edit>Clear and set this duplicated layer to Normal at 100% opacity. Almost done so bare with me, now go Select>Invert, go back to the original render layer and go Edit>Clear. Hope you're still with me

Step Six

Go Edit>Copy Visible then Edit>Paste into a new layer, move this layer to the top of the layer stack. Duplicate this layer 3 times, call them Color#1, Color#2, Color#3 from bottom to top.

Step Seven

It's time to turn this image into a sig. On the first duplicated layer (Color#1), change your FG color to a strong red, I used ff1010 and your BG to a strong yellow, I used efe70d. Go Color>Map>Gradient Map. Set this layer to Overlay at 70% Opacity. Now go to the Color#2 layer, change your FG to a strong blue (0617ed) and leave your BG as a strong yellow. Do another Gradient Map and change this layer to Color at 50% Opacity. Last but not least go to the Color#3 layer, change your FG to a strong green (3bfc0e) and your BG to a brown (7c3e32), do one more Gradient Map and set this layer to Overlay at 20% Opacity.

Step Eight

Go Edit>Copy Visible then Edit>Paste and move this layer to the top of the stack. If you sig is looking too dark go Color>Brightness-Contrast and change the brightness setting to 30 and the contrast setting to 10. Now to add the main text. I am using the logo for the game Army Of Two, which my render is from, you can either use a logo or some large, thick text. Paste in the logo or create your text on a new transparent layer at the top of the stack.

Step Nine

Make a new transparent layer underneath the text/logo layer, select the text/logo layer and go Select>Transparency>Alpha To Selection. Now go back to the empty layer, go Select>Grow by 1 pixel then change your FG color to black and go Edit>Fill with FG. Now to finish off go Filters>Blur>Gaussian Blur and change the settings to around 10.

Step Ten

Now do another Edit>Copy Visible and Edit>Paste onto a new transparent layer at the top of the stack. Now go Color>Desaturate and duplicate this layer 3 times. On the first duplicated layer, change your FG color to a strong red, I used ff1010 and your BG to a strong yellow, I used efe70d. Go Color>Map>Gradient Map. Set this layer to Overlay at 60% Opacity. Now go to the second duplicated layer, change your FG to a strong blue (0617ed) and leave your BG as a strong yellow. Do another Gradient Map and change this layer to Overlay at 60% Opacity. Last but not least go to the third duplicated layer, change your FG to a strong green (3bfc0e) and leave the BG as a yellow. Do one more Gradient Map and set this layer to Overlay at 20% Opacity.

Step Eleven

Now you can add a border if you want to. To finish off go Edit>Copy Visible then Edit>Paste and if your sig is too dark go Color>Brightness-Contrast and change the Brightness setting to 50 and the Contrast setting to 20.

I hope you have enjoy this tutorial, all feedback is welcome and I am looking forward to seeing some results.

Possible Outcomes
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Agent Z

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 03:51:44 pm »

I used this guide i found it somewhere on smf now its easy for future use Smiley thanks for posting it
Report Spam   Logged
deathwilldie
Administrator
Adminitrator

View Profile WWW
Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 04:40:08 pm »

Yea I need to find more tutorials by shadow cause he said I could post any of his tutorials on here as long as I give credit to him.  Which I think we need more gimp tutorials Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Agent Z

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 02:48:47 pm »

Hmm  Wink well i use gimp but i havent made any tut's yet so if i make some i ll post it here
Report Spam   Logged
Mojobojo82
MVP
MVP

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 11:48:11 pm »

Nice Guide Dwd.
It's easy to read and easy to understand
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print